The Village of Gayton, Northamptonshire Source

 

 

 

 

 

Reference

Date

 

Anglo Saxon

RCHME

1060

 

The small W doorway of church tower has triangular head

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Norman

Domesday book p49

1086

 

21 villagers with a priest

RCHME

1100

 

In S wall of tower, single light window formerly with a round head

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Early English

Baker

 

 

Font of Norman style, fabricated early 13th century

Baker

 

 

Piscina with trefoil head, stone shelf and ledge with nail head moulding

RCHME

 

 

S aisle added

RCHME

 

 

Small piscina, deeply chamfered head enclosing trefoil cusping

Newspaper NM 3.2.1883

 

 

Fine memorial slab with floriate cross

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Early 14th century

Hartshorne

 

 

Under monumental arch, full sized female figure (Scholastica de Gayton)

Baker

 

 

Stone figure of a child Mabila de Gayton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mid 14th century

RCHME

 

 

N nave wall moved half metre to south and N aisle added

RCHME

 

 

N chapel (chantry chapel) added

Baker

 

 

Oak effigy (Philip de Gayton)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mid 15th century

Will (Trussell)

1441

 

Widow of Lord of manor buried in the Blessed Virgin's cemetery

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Late 15th century

RCHME

 

 

Clerestory added

Baker

 

 

Late 15th century medieval carved screen (Rood, 1510, Sergeantson and Longden)

Sergeantson & Longden

1499

 

Our Lady light at St Nicholas Altar

Sir Stephen Glynne

 

 

S chancel perpendicular sepulchred arch with marble slab monument (Robert Tanfield)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tudor

Commissioners' Returns

1552

 

3 bells in steeple of treble ring and one small saint bell

Church Plate, Markham

1570

 

Church Plate: Silver Cup and paten cover

Bridges

1583

 

Francis and Bridget Tanfield's alabaster monument with incised slab in chapel

Bridges

1585

 

Bell: Give thanks to God always

Bridges

1594

 

Bell: Feare God and Obey the Lord (in Saxon capitals)

Bridges

1600

 

Brass: William Houghton 17 December 1600 (in the middle aisle)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Reference

Date

 

17th century

Church Survey Book

1611

 

Churchyard mounds now walled, pulpit, seats on north side, font cover and leading

Church Survey Book

1611

 

Printed matter: homilies, paraphase of Erasmus and Statute for the 5th Nov

Church Survey Book

1611

 

References to chancel buttress and 'rain runs off churchyard under chancel door'

Church Survey Book

1611

 

References to N chapel unpaved in part, rain comes in on tombs, and seats unboarded

Hawley 1/C/17

1616

 

Porch mentioned in legal document. (porch with no door and unpaved, Survey 1637)

Church Survey Book

1631

 

Pulpit and reading seat not decent

Church Survey Book

1637

 

No box or chest with three locks for the poor. Only one surplice

Visitation of N'ton 1681

1656

 

Acquired miserichords from dissolved St James Abbey.

WI 1853-1953

1658

 

Church Plate: Silver lidded flagon

Bridges

1662

 

Bell: God Save King Charles.

Faculty Plan

 

 

Pulpit: Jacobean triple decker

RCHME

 

 

Nave roof has moulded tie beams and purlins

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Early 18th century

Church Plate Markham

1708

 

Church Plate: Silver salver or patten 18ozs

Bridges

1720

 

Chancel leaded and a porch on S tiled

Bridges

1720

 

N chapel has at least two other monuments with no inscription

Bridges

1720

 

N chapel is Samwell's burying place, parted off from chancel and as big as chancel

Faculty Vol I p241

1725

 

Faculty granted to raise height of steeple and hang six bells

Bells

1726

 

Bell: William Ball Churchwarden 1726

Bells

1726

 

Bell: Prosperity to the Church of England 1726

Bells

1726

 

Bell: Peace and good neighbourhood 1726

Bells

1726

 

Bell: Glory be to God on high. A R 1726

Churchwardens Accts

1726

 

Harleston Stone £30

Bells

1726

 

Bell: The gift of the Reverend. Mr Gibbs Rector 1726

Bells

1727

 

Bell: In Dei laudem et Georgii regis honorem. Ex dono Thomas Samwell Baronetti

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Late 18th century

Faculty Vol II p182

1744

 

Faculty granted to erect a pew upper end of N aisle

Baker

1753

 

Oval tablet on N wall of N chapel Richard Kent of London

Churchwardens Accts

1757

 

Church whitewashed

Baker

1759

 

Lockwood family memorial by Robert Blore latest date 1759

Faculty Vol III p132

1775

 

Faculty for pew at E end adjoining E wall and S wall in S aisle

Baker

1780

 

Oval tablet on N wall of N chapel Richard Kent junior died 8 Jan 1780

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Early 19th century

European magazine

1801

 

Small building extends from chancel/N chapel (Vestry on 1827 plan, demolished 1828)

Organs, Davidson

1815

 

Summary destruction of minstrel's gallery

Churchwardens Accts

1816

 

Removal of churchyard wall (to incorporate additional piece of land)

Faculty V53-56

1817

 

Deed and consecration for an additional burial ground contiguous with old churchyard

Bell

1821

 

Bell: Recast by voluntary contribution

 

 

 

 

Reference

Date

 

George Butler's Restoration (1828)

Faculty V282

1828

 

N chapel had been for many years in a state of extreme dilapidation

RCHME

 

 

Piscina with ogee trefoil head decorated with crockets and carried on miniature shafts (in the style of the 14th century) in N chapel

Churchwardens Accts

1828

 

Rector replaced the single door to the porch with folding doors

Faculty V282

1828

 

Reconstructed nave and chancel roof

Churchwardens Accts

1828

 

Four old pews in the S aisle on E side of the old porch to be re-fronted and floor raised

Churchwardens Accts

1828

 

Pulpit moved from north to south side of nave (No longer three decks)

Churchwardens Accts

1828

 

Uniformly re-pewed and interior stone paved (Houghton brass moved to N chapel)

Churchwardens Accts

1828

 

Font moved from near old S porch, to middle of entrance to tower

Faculty V282

1828

 

E window of N chapel and chancel re-constructed

Faculty V408

1828

 

New arch constructed between N chapel and chancel

Churchwardens Accts

1828

 

Door and porch moved and reconstructed (Porch is of later date than doorway Glynne)

Baker

 

 

Reredos carved dark oak (probably not in situ Pevsner)

Laycock Abbey 01959

1830

 

Fox Talbot donated Beauvais glass c1643 and Flemish roundels c1515 set in E window

Baker

1836

 

Chancel entered through lofty open arch from nave

Baker

1836

 

N chapel now communicates with both N aisle and chancel

Baker

1836

 

E end of N chapel is converted into a vestry and separated by a carved medieval screen

Directory Whellan

1849

 

Clock donated fixed high up on tower

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Late 19th century

Sir Stephen Glynne notes

1862

 

Lower part of tower opens to the nave by rude and small pointed arch

Sir Stephen Glynne notes

1862

 

E window of S aisle is a circle with flowing tracery (Removed when vestry built 1881)

Sir Stephen Glynne notes

1862

 

Between N chapel and N aisle of nave is a Tudor shaped arch

Newspaper 12 May 1866

1866

 

Dec buttress over door in N wall of nave incorporates dedication stone

Newspaper 12 May 1866

1866

 

In N wall of nave traces of circular headed door, long since walled up

Directory Whellans 1874

1871

 

New Organ

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

John Clough Williams Ellis Restoration (1881)

Faculty ML1119 p510

1881

 

Remove plaster ceilings (rebuilt chancel roof following line of early roof RCHME)

Faculty ML1119 p510

1881

 

Remove gallery floors and surface levels with new steps, tiles and heating flues

Faculty ML1119 p510

1881

 

For new heating chamber

Faculty ML1119 p510

1881

 

To add seats, refix font and pulpit and build structural stone shelf in E wall of chancel

Faculty ML1119 p510

1881

 

Add new upper stage to tower and stairs to tower (Belfry c1883 RCHME)

Faculty ML1119 p510

1881

 

For vestry (rood screen preserved in vestry RCHME) and organ chamber

Faculty ML1119 p510

1881

 

To construct arches in E wall of S aisle and in S wall of chancel

John Taylor & Co

1882

 

Rehung 3 largest bells with new fittings and frame reconstructed using old timber

Newspaper NM 3.2.1883

1883

 

Discovery of door to rood loft in S wall of the nave and of piscina in S aisle

RCHME

1883

 

Second stage of tower has 2 light windows with blind trefoils over

Newspaper NM 3.2.1883

1883

 

Removal of west gallery and tower arch opened out

Newspaper NM 3.2.1883

1883

 

Flemish glass, put in windows of N chapel

Newspaper NM 3.2.1883

1883

 

E window in chancel and lancet window in tower remain to be glazed

RCHME

1885

 

Buttresses to E wall of chancel are 19C

Directory Kelly's 1894

1889

 

A memorial window in chancel to Rd Eykyn. W end small window erected by Thos E

Reference

Date

 

20th century

Newspaper NDEcho

1908

 

Liquid cement is being forced between the stonework of tower

John Taylor & Co

1908

 

Frame reconstructed, much of the old timber being re-used

Oral History, NR

1910

 

Tower alterations and clock lowered (Tower is crowned by a battlement parapet with elaborate angle pinnacles and gargoyles RCHME)

Faculty

1920

 

Erection of first World War memorial tablet

WI 1853-1953

1921

 

Church plate: silver spoon. Donated by Arthur Eykyn

Faculty

1929

 

To install electric light in the church

John Taylor & Co

1930

 

Bad going order of peal, defective timber bell frame and bell fittings, grub and beetle

NFWI p63

1930

 

Bells rehung

Bells

1931

 

Bell: Recast. W F Stokes MA Rector, J M Major Lucas, W A Ratledge, Churchwrdns

Deanery mag Oct 1955

1935

 

Had old curtains taken down from Baptistry

Faculty

1936

 

To install McClary Pipeless heating in an underground extension of the present crypt

Deanery magazine Oct

1952

 

Burial, 27 Aug 1952, in 2nd grave in new portion of graveyard

WI 1853-1953

1953

 

Church plate: silver chalice and paten 1569 presented by Roger and Mary Eykyn

Deanery magazine March

1953

 

Children's Corner. Pictures and books

WI 1853-1953

1953

 

Church plate: silver chalice and paten 1901-2

Deanery magazine Oct

1954

 

Organ dedicated, procession led by cross, peal of bells, flag flying in tower

Deanery magazine July

1954

 

Organ appeal. Contract to Starmer Shaw & Son

Deanery magazine Aug

1954

 

Gift of candlesticks

Deanery magazine April

1954

 

Boiler, flu and grid overhauled

Deanery magazine Nov

1955

 

Made a second oak table to stand under the Alms box

Deanery magazine Sept

1955

 

Presented service books, altar coverings, curtains etc for N Chapel

Deanery magazine July

1955

 

Brackets for processional cross and banner on the end of chancel stalls

Deanery magazine Oct

1955

 

Dedication of baptistry curtains at Patronal Festival

Deanery magazine Sept

1955

 

Brass: Replated the brass tablet William Houghton 1600

Faculty

1967

 

Re-new wood block flooring and timber bearers under pews

Faculty

1967

 

Place wooden altar table (gift) in N chapel

Faculty

1967

 

Install aumbrey in wall of sanctuary

Village circular August

1973

 

Church & belfry fund to electrify clock winding system & treat timbers

Faculty

1984

 

Oak screen in arch leading from nave to tower (W end)

RCHME

1984

 

Below W window of S aisle are the jambs of the former S doorway

RCHME

1984

 

Font at W end of S aisle of the nave

Faculty

1994

 

Pedestal display cabinet for book of Remembrance

Faculty

1996

 

Church clock overhaul

Faculty

1996

 

Roof repairs

Faculty

2000

 

Conservation of the Tanfield Tomb